My one year Vegiversary is coming up next month and I must say time sure does fly! After forgoing meat for almost a year, many of my friends ask how I am doing. They want to know how difficult the change in my diet has been and if there are certain meals I miss. I also receive a lot of questions on how my body feels. The answers to these questions even surprises myself. It hasn’t been difficult at all! I feel great inside and out! The truth is, I don’t miss many foods and if there is a particular meal I am craving it’s a cinch to either make it cruelty free or find a recipe that already is! One such recipe is a classic BLT. Crunchy salty bacon slapped between two toasted pieces of bread along with fresh juicy tomato and crisp lettuce….I can’t do without this combo!
No worries though! There is a classic fix in the Veggie world. Thank goodness for Smoky Maple Tempeh; where would we be without you?? While comparable to bacon, tempeh is a healthier happier version to fight the craving and still get that satisfying BLT flavor without the added guilt. Here’s my most recent version of this delectable sandwich.
- 2 slices of Seeded Rye bread
- 1-2 slices of tomato
- ½ C arugula
- 2 tbs Vegenaise
- 3 slices avocado
- 6 pieces of Smoky Maple Tempeh (I used Tofurkey brand)
- Heat medium sized skillet on medium high heat.
- Added tempeh slices to hot skillet. I did not add any oil or anything to the skillet this time. It seemed to work just fine in browning the tempeh and making it crispy around the edges. If your skillet is not non stick you may want to add a drop or two of coconut oil.
- Place toast in toaster. Obviously you can toast your bread however you like.....toaster seems easiest to me
- Slather 1 tbs Vegenaise on both slices of bread.
- Add arugula to one Vegenaise slathered slice of bread.
- Tempeh should be ready about now. 5 Minutes on one side-flip-5 minutes on the other worked well for me. Add it on top of arugula.
- Top with tomato, avocado and your other slice of bread.
- Congratulations, you made a BLT.....BLAT to be exact (avocado...duh)