I mentioned I am a homeowner now, yes? Well, when we moved I got hardcore backlogged on all of my magazines-Shape, Health, National Geographic, Good Housekeeping, and my favorite…Vegetarian Times. I played catch up this past weekend and found a recipe in Vegetarian Times that I knew I had to try. It was in their fall issue and today’s recipe is a hybrid of their version. I took out some of the sugar and butter, added flax and coconut, and switched up the fruit….voila! A healthier and absolutely mouthwatering breakfast or dessert. I have been pairing it with Silk plain yogurt and let me just say, mwah *kisses fingers Italian style*
I did not have blackberries (as the original recipe called for) on hand but I had some frozen blueberries and dark sweet cherries in the freezer. I shrugged my shoulder and said, “shiiiiit, that’ll work”. Really, I did. Next thing you know it was a bit of this and a dab of that and press-press in a pan, bake in the oven and BAM! (sorry Emeril), sweet, slightly sticky but mainly crumbly berry and cherry deliciousness from the oven. I then allowed these bad boys to cool, sliced them up and have been eating them every day since.
I’m trying to figure out what I should create for Halloween. Maybe some seasoned pumpkin seeds? I haven’t had much luck with them in the past. They always turn out alright, but nothing to write home about. Any suggestions? I’m open to s sweet or salty pumpkin seed recipe. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PEPITAS!!!!
Aaaaaand tag me on twitter or instagram, #peppersandpeaches, @peppers_peaches when you make these crumbled bars of goodness and mercy. Love ya, mean it!
- 3 cups all purpose flour cup flax seeds
- 1p flax seeds
- 1 cup vegan butter (1 stick)
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 3 tbs water
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cup blueberries
- 2½ cups dark sweet cherries
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar + 2 tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and then line with wax or parchment paper, then spray the lined pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, flax seeds,1/2 cup cane sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix the vegan butter, coconut oil, and water into the flour mixture. Once combined, press ¾ of it into the bottom of the pan.
- Take the other 2 tbs brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon and the ¼ of the flour mixture that's left and combine in a bowl, set aside.
- Next, toss blueberries, cherries, tapioca starch, vanilla, and maple syrup in a bowl, pour onto the dough you pressed into the pan. Smooth evenly.
- sprinkle the remaining ¼ mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until browning on top. Allow to cool completely and then cut into squares. Seal in airtight container in fridge.