If there are any Blue Apron fans out there then you may already know the recipe I am sharing today. One of my co-workers was kind enough to give me a free delivery from Blue Apron. Since they have a vegetarian option I checked the website until they had a week that looked mainly vegan and ordered it then. I lucked out because the only items that came that weren’t vegan were a little bit of honey, a small bag of cheese (really small), and 2 eggs. My husband is not vegan so he happily ate them and I was able to modify the meals to my diet of choice.
Of course when Blue Apron asked for my review I recommended a vegan option 🙂
This recipe of theirs is SO good though, I really wanted to share it with you. So full disclaimer: I DID NOT CREATE THIS RECIPE. THANK BLUE APRON FOR THIS ONE! I really only modified the honey to agave and my spices are ever so slightly different. I also used black rice in the photos which was tasty, but the husband and I decided basmati was better. <–that is really saying something because black rice reigns supreme in our home right now. That stuff is off the chainnnn…..ok, moving on.
So, are you ready? I am not even sure how to describe this dish-exotic, sweet, salty, herb-y….AMAZING. Really, it blew my mind. I was not sure about the mint and cilantro chutney but it paired so well with the tandoori sauce I practically licked my bowl. Ok….I did lick my bowl….whatever. I loved that the finished product seems so light but the coconut milk provided that comfort food feel I crave in most of my dinner dishes. The cauliflower is perfectly tender and flavorful, the spinach rice compliments the tandoori sauce and the chutney makes all the flavors in the dish pop. Basically what I am saying here is try this one out, it seems too weird, but it is actually a fun and simple meal to make.
Should I also mentioned Blue Apron did not pay me to say these things? They didn’t, for the record.
On another note, sorry I have been on blogging hiatus lately. I went to Spain for 2 weeks and it was the best trip ever. However, getting back in the swing of things is less fun, and blogging was below sleeping on my list. No worries though, I have returned. I have loads of fun Catalan recipes I want to try my hand at. I cannot wait to share them with you guys!
As always, let me know what you think about this one! Do you think it is as delicious as I do? I need to knowwww! Tag me @peppers_peaches and use my hashtag #pepperasandpeaches on instagram and twitter. Toodles!
- ½ cup rice. I recommend basmati but black/forbidden rice is good too
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 limes
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- 1 large bunch of mint, stems removed and chopped
- 2 tbs agave
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl, stir to incorporate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, juice of ½ lime, 1 tbs agave, 2 cloves garlic, and all but a pinch of the spice blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. This is your tandoori sauce.
- Core and cut your cauliflower into bit sized chunks.
- Place cauliflower into a 3 qt baking dish and pour tandoori sauce over it. Stir a little to coat each cauliflower piece.
- Place in oven for about 25 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- While cauliflower is cooking, add a medium sauce to the stove and add coconut oil, the pinch of spice blend you saved, and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of water if using basmati rice, 1¼ cups if using forbidden/black rice. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium until it reaches a simmer and cover for about 15 minutes or until all the liqud is absorbed adn rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.
- While the rice is cooking, add the cilantro, mint, 1 tbs agave, and juice of 1 lime into a small bowl. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once all dishes are prepared, assemble your dish. Rice mixture, topped with cauliflower mixture, topped with herb chutney. Enjoy!