Busy, busy, busy-that is my life until after the holidays. Actually, who am I kidding, I’ve been saying this for years now. I guess I just live a busy life, eh? I’m not complaining about this, just stating the facts. I had just gotten engaged and starting to plan my wedding when I started this blog. My first post (here) was written when I needed a libation after dealing with wedding hotel block drama. Turns out, I have more to say when I am immersed amidst some light chaos. I had a month off when we first moved and my motivation to get up and create new recipes was slim to none. For me, that is unheard of. Then when I started my new job I was suddenly scheduling time for recipe developing, photo shoots, etc again. I am happy I got my swag back! I refuse to make this blog a chore as it is my happy place of sorts. I word vomit while simultaneously giving you tasty recipes from my kitchen and that works. We coexist well, yes?
I think so too.
So, do want to know what I have in store for today? It is a classic, but I cut out some of the sugar and added some fiber by using dates. I am allll about some fiber. I am calling them Caramel Apple Pillows as my shapes really did look similar to pillows. Triangle pillows….anyways… These sweet treats are made with crescent roll dough and filled with tart granny smith apples that have been cooked with cinnamon and sugar. They are baked in the oven until light and flaky, then drizzled with a healthy caramel date sauce. The combination of tart and sweet pair wonderfully with the cinnamon spices to create a trifecta of holiday goodness. Plus, if you need your house to smell amazing these will do the trick.
As always, let me know in the comments below how you like them! Use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches on instagram or twitter and tag me @peppersandpeaches too!
- 1 tbs butter
- ⅛ c sugar
- ⅛ cup hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cored and chopped granny smith apples
- Caramel Date Sauce:
- 1 cup soaked medjool dates
- ½ cup water + 2 tbs
- 2 packages crescent rolls (total of 16)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place large skillet on medium heat. Add 1 tbs butter. Once melted add apples.
- Allow apples to cook for 4 minutes. While they are cooking, combine hater water and sugar and stir until combine.
- Add the syrup you just made into the apples along with the cinnamon and vanilla. Allow to cook for another 8 minutes or so, until the apples are softened and caramelized.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out one package of crescent roll dough, there should be 8 pieces. Place about 2 tbs of apple mixture in the middle of each piece of dough.
- Roll out the other package of dough. Place a piece of dough on top of each of the apple topped dough pieces.
- Seal the edges of each pillow with a fork. Carefully place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes. If they are not brown on top watch them for another couple of minutes. Once lightly browned, allow to cool.
- While pillows are cooling, combine dates and ½ cup water in high powered blender. Blend until completely smooth. If too thick to pour, add the 1-2 tbs of water one at a time.
- Once apple pillows are cool, drizzle with the caramel.