Happy Monday guys! The worst day of the week is over, we did it! I personally made today my bitch-pardon my French. I really did though…I did the 8-5 thing, hit the gym, cooked dinner, ate a bowl of ice cream, and here I am.
Let’s talk about that bowl of ice cream I had for a minute. Ben and Jerry’s. Vegan. Ice cream. Had any yet? If you haven’t then holy toledo you are in for a treat. Ben & Jerry, old friends of mine, decided to jump on the cruelty free train and you know what? Speaking of making things their bitches, these fellows made the best store bought vegan ice cream I have ever had. That is saying a lot as I’ve tried every brand I can get my hands on. In my past experience, Trader Joe’s Soy Creamy Vanilla reigned supreme for texture and flavor. The other brands had exciting flavors but the mix ins were pathetic-if you say there are cookies in my ice cream, you better give me some COOKIES. I don’t mess around. Ok, I’m rambling at this point, allow me to bring it back full circle. Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is everything I’ve ever dreamed of in vegan ice cream. Thank goodness. Alright-enough about that….for now.
On to a more savory food. I recently bought some local “sausage” patty mix and it in turn inspired this sandwich. While these “sausage” patties were oat based and super dreamy, any type of vegan patty will taste great in this recipe. So what recipe am I talking about? Piping hot breakfast “sausage” topped with sauteed peppers, onions, and tomatoes sandwiched between two pieces of whole grain toast slathered with a rich cheezy sauce (try saying that sentence 3 times fast). Then, last but not least, you pop this baby on a panini press and let it get all toasty and melty. Voila! Breakfast perfection!
What are you waiting for? Why wouldn’t you want salty, cheezy, melty deliciousness first thing in the morning? We both know there is no reason why not. So go make this, now. It only takes a second (by second I mean about 25 minutes, tops). While you are at it, snap a pic and tag me in that bad boy: hashtag-#peppersandpeaches, username for twitter and instagram: @peppers_peaches.
That’s All Folks!
- 1-2 vegan sausage patties (I used a local brand but I also recommend Gardein's breakfast patties)
- 2 slices of whole wheat sprouted grain bread
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 small tomato
- salt & pepper
- cheezy sauce (recipe above in link)
- Start by chopping and dicing pepper, onion, and tomato.
- Place skillet on stove on medium heat. Add coconut oil. Once hot, add peppers, onions and tomato. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat sausage patties according to package directions.
- Heat a panini press, counter-top grill, or skillet on medium heat.
- Add 1 tbs cheeze sauce to both pieces of bread. Top one slice with sausage patty or patties. Then top with pepper mixture. Finally, top with other slice of cheezy bread.
- Place on panini press/counter-top grill and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. If using skillet, cook for 2 minutes one side, flip and cook for 2 minute other side.
- Check to make sure sandwich is crispy and melty.
- Slice diagonally, and dig in!