Welp, we’ve done it. Kenny and I have officially booked our tickets to Spain! Now we just have to wait another 5 months to actually board the plane and start our newest adventure….gah waiting is for the birds.
Good things come to those who wait
Now, with the flights booked we just have to find a place to stay, make our itineraries, and just about everything else really. We only booked flights… one step at a time, right? Which leads me to a question: who has used Airbnb? I recently downloaded the app and have been hooked while searching for places. I love that you can put “dog friendly” as an amenity. Looks like Zeus will be able to travel with us more in the future! If Airbnb is everything it is cooked up to be then I am in heaven! I would much rather help an individual person out, immerse myself in the culture or area than pay for a big chain hotel to give me the same universal room no matter where I go.
Have you used Airbnb? What was your experience? Pray tell.
Now, drum roll please *dah dah dah dah dah**<—is that how you type drum sounds?
Cheezy Broccoli and Potato Soup! This recipe is perfect for the travel weary, bone chilled, and comfort-food craving individual. Soft broccoli melded between potatoes and caramelized onions in a sweet potato and cheezy nutritional yeast broth. Hot, savory, creamy, loaded with fiber and vitamins and virtually no fat, this soup is not for the birds. It is for your rumbly belly. It is pretty darn easy to make too. Mhmm MHMMM! I love that it is freezable too so you can throw an airtight bowl in the freezer for when you are sick (read- lazy) or when the weather itself decides to come to its senses and become cold…you know, because it is winter and I’m wearing shorts and flip flops!
You definitely want to try this soup out! Tear off a hunk of crusty bread to absorb all the broth and have at it! Let me see it though-tag me @peppers_peaches and use my hashtag #peppersandpeach on instagram or twitter!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, large and precooked or steamed (however you want)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 1 16oz bag frozen broccoli
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3½ cup veggie broth
- Optional Toppings:
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Coconut Bacon
- Place a large skillet on the stove on medium heat.
- Add olive oil to pan. Once heated add garlic and allow to grow fragrant, about 3 minutes. Then add diced russet potatoes and onions. Cook for 7-8 minutes until onions start to caramelize and potatoes soften. They do not have to be completely soft, just not still raw.
- While potatoes and onions are cooking, place the steamed.cooked sweet potato in a high powered blender or vitamix. Add the veggie broth and all spices to blender.
- Blend until ingredients are perfectly smooth.
- Combine blender broth along with the potato and onions mixture in a large pot. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes. Add more liquid if you would like.
- You can freeze this soup or serve immediately. Keeps for up to a week in the fridge.