I feel that I need to start this post of by saying that I have never been a huge popcorn lover. That is not to say that I do not like it, I do, really. I just have never been overly excited when there is a fresh pot of puffed corn in front of me ready to be consumed. Until now.
I grew up to the smell of popcorn wafting from the kitchen most nights after 7 PM. It was my parents after dinner snack and let me just tell you, we went through a ton of popcorn. I remember them always choosing the butter flavor and it was always the microwave bag type. Well, listen up parents, this post is specifically for you.
Microwave popcorn is riddled with chemicals, undefined “natural” flavors (like beaver anal glands…seriously), and are overly processed. It is a bummer that these companies take a decently healthy snack and turn it into a nightmare for your gut. Luckily, I am an amazing daughter and I have created this delicious, easy, and healthy recipe to solve everyone’s popcorn problems. And guys, if you didn’t have a microwave popcorn problem before, do your research and tell me if you still don’t. I was personally very freaked out.
There are a ton of popcorn recipes on the web, mainly because making it at home is so simple, but this one takes a few ingredients and creates a combination of flavors that I personally adore. I added spicy sriracha, cheezy nutritional yeast, and a bit of salt and sugar to really surprise your taste buds. After burning the first batch or two, I finally figured out that I had to add the sriracha and nooch after the popcorn popped….not sure why I thought it wouldn’t burn in bubbling oil but let’s just say it was morning time and my coffee had not kicked in, ok? The end results is a unique flavored popcorn that kicks any microwaved version in the butt! And parents, if you are out there, you can melt and pour your own butter on top if that is your fancy!
One of my favorite things about this popcorn is that it keeps well. Ken and I have been taking bags of it to work to munch on throughout the day. Oh, that’s another thing; I get excited when it is time to eat my popcorn snack! Am I converting myself to popcorn lover? Popcorn Lover Jenn? Huh…weird….anyways, here’s that recipe.
Let me know if you have a favorite seasoning combination to add to your home made popcorn in the comments below! Also, if you make this recipe, use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches so I can check out your masterpiece!
- ½ cup popping corn kernels
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs nutritional yest (nooch)
- 1 tbs cane sugar
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sriracha
- Place a large pot with a lid on stove on medium high heat. Add the coconut oil to the pot and melt.
- Once melted, add the corn kernels and stir or shake pot until kernels are coated.
- Let mixture sit until kernels start to pop. Once the popping really gets going, I like to shake the pan a bit every so often to make sure the last kernels hit the bottom and the popcorn does not burn.
- Continue to let kernels pop until they slow down and most of the kernels are popped. Remove the lid and sprinkle the salt, nooch, and sugar onto the popcorn. Next, drizzle about 1 tbs of sriracha onto the popcorn, trying to spread out the sauce as well as possible.
- Stir mixture to fully incorporate the sriracha sauce. It is important here not to put too much sauce on your popcorn or it will get soggy.
- Store leftover in airtight container and will keep for up to 1 week.