We all need to unplug sometimes. Those days when you cut yourself off from the world and do anything and everything you want to do, with no thoughts about another person’s opinion. One of those days was yesterday for me. I did not come in contact with another human being and it was so cleansing. I painted and painted and painted (new homeowner life), I worked in the yard and played with my pooch, and then I soaked all the muck off of me in a glorious bubble bath. Then I binge watched Netflix with copious amounts of wine. Turns out, I needed that more than I could have ever guessed. I feel relaxed, fresh and recharged, ready to take on the week and its adversities. What’s more though, it got the cooking side of my brain working again, and my how I have missed creativity in the kitchen. It is amazing how mental exhaustion cuts out the artistic side of your mind, or for me it does at least. I was cooking every night but it was simple quesadillas and rice bowls. While these are tasty, it was nothing worth noting on here.
I woke up this morning craving a simple but vital country recipe-classic biscuits and gravy. This happens to be my husband’s favorite breakfast, so I must admit I found it ironic that I was making this for breakfast while he is out of town. Remember when I said sometimes you have to clear your thoughts of other other people’s opinions, this is another such time. I want them. I make them. It was as simple as that. Now, I have yet to come up with a biscuit recipe that rivals Dana’s from Minimalist Baker, so I whipped a batch of her Best Damn Vegan Biscuits. Then I grabbed a bag of Beyond Meat’s Beefy crumbles from my freezer, and the gravy making commenced!
The end result was the familiar peppery and creamy gravy I grew up with, without the animal fat and cow meat. Win win if you ask me. The photo shoot was a hasty one as I could hardly wait to dive into those flaky biscuits topped with piping hot pepper gravy. Gah lee (there’s some country slang for you right there) this breakfast was good. Another good part is I have leftovers since I was cooking for one; looking forward to a specialty breakfast on my hectic Monday morning!
Let me know if you give these a try or if you add any variations. I found I really wanted a classic gravy this morning, but I am sure there are some delicious options to add in as well 🙂 As always, tag me @peppers_peaches on instagram or twitter and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- 1 bag Beefy Crumbles (I used beyond meat but I'm sure a different brand would work fine too)
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3½ cups plain soymilk
- salt and pepper (fresh cracked pepper is best)
- Start by making your biscuits. Link to the recipe I used in in the narrative above.
- Now for the gravy, place a large skillet on medium heat, add butter.
- Once butter has melted, add beefy crumbles. Stir and allow to cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir, allow to cook for an additional 1 -2 minutes.
- Add milk, stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens. If it thickens too quickly you can add a but more milk.
- Slice as many biscuits as you would like in half, open faced. Top with gravy. Dig in!