These healthy energy bites are packed with protein and are ready to go with you anywhere! They are loaded with whole grains, dried fruit, sticky peanut butter, then rolled around in shredded coconut. There are many variations to this recipe, but this is one of my favorites due to the tart yet sweet cranberries. I have been craving peanut butter so I used it in this recipe, however, cashew or almond butter would work nicely in this as well.
These energy bites really rock because they are extremely portable. I plan on using them for my after breakfast snack this week, but they could work as actual breakfast as well. I also intend to make a bunch of these bad boys for the morning after my wedding so Kenny and I have something hearty and healthy to eat on the way to our much anticipated honeymoon to Cancun! They would be perfect for camping or a nice long hike too! I could go on, but I think you get my point: these bad boys are meant to travel with you!
Speaking of traveling, anyone have any great vacations coming up? I am used to traveling often, even if I am just hopping city to city. It has been a little while and I am feeling a bit antsy. Let me live vicariously through you guys until I take off on the plane to beautiful Mexico next month! Tell me about your trip in the comments below! Also, make a batch of these energy bites for the ride!
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 tbs ground flax
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 2 tbs agave
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbs chocolate chips
- 1 tbs water
- Optional: coconut flakes for rolling
- Combine all ingredients except optional coconut flakes in medium mixing bowl.
- Mix with rubber spatula until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Scoop mixture by spoonfuls into your hand. Press firmly together and form into balls. I used a melon baller to ensure the sizes were the same. If your mixture is not sticky enough you may need to add a little more water.
- If using coconut flakes, roll balls into coconut now.
- Store in a cool and dry airtight container for up to a week, I sometime keep mine in the fridge during the summer for a cool treat.