Pumpkin Spice everything has officially arrived. My news feed has blowing up with everyone’s documentation of their first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season. I will not be partaking in this documentation as it turns out I am actually not a big fan of the drink. I have tried a few from different stores and meh…not for me. I even tried making my own at home to post on the blog and that was deemed sub par as well. So, I give up on liking that drink….I can say I tried.
That being said, I do enjoy the pumpkin spice kick. I prefer my pumpkin to actually have pumpkin in it though-the fiber and carotenoid rich kind-NOT the pie filling loaded with processed sugars. Then I like to spice it up really nice like for that comforting fall flavor we in America have grown to love. It has been warm enough to bust out my Creamy Dreamy Pumpkin Pie Milkshake or whip up my Healthy Pumpkin Pie, but I stumbled upon one of those 30 second videos that quickly show you how to make a recipe. At this point I don’t even remember what the recipe was for, but it created this pumpkin recipe in my head. I grabbed the necessary ingredients, made the recipe this morning, and fed it to my husband and our guest. It was a fast success, so here I am sharing it with you several hours later. I recommend running out to your grocery store and snagging what you need…this is so easy and so stinking tasty.
Flaky pastry dough filled with a date sweetened pumpkin puree, crunchy walnuts and decadent cream cheese, this moderately healthy breakfast or dessert is sure to become a seasonal favorite. I already want to pick up some more dough and dates so I can make another log for this week’s breakfast. It pairs perfectly with a cup of black coffee or would be a nice bite of sweet to end a fall meal. I want to experiment with other fillings too! The pumpkin is a nice place to start though as the dates and pumpkin pair perfectly together to give a sweet but not cloyingly so flavor. Yes, this one is a classic. Make it and then share it, the world needs to know about this one. 🙂
Snap a pic of your log and tag me @peppers_peaches on instagram and/or twitter. Use my hashtag #pepperandpeaches! Happy fall y’all!
- 1 package of vegan crescent pastry dough in the sheet form, not the mini crescents
- ½ cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- ½ cup soaked medjool dates
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- ½ tsp black strap mollasses
- handful chopped walnuts (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tbs vegan cream cheese (or a little more if you prefer)
- Cinnamon for garnish on top
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees (or whatever the instructions say on your crescent/pastry dough packaging)
- Combine pumpkin, dates, maple syrup, molasses, and pumpkin pie spice in a blender. Blend until mostly smooth, leaving a few date chunks intact.
- Spread pumpkin/date mixture evenly on rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle walnuts evenly on dough.
- Spoon the cream cheese vertically along one edge of the dough, to form a line of cream cheese.
- Start on the cream cheese end, and start carefully rolling the dough back up, into a pinwheel.
- Carefully transfer your dough log onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon, Bake for about 15 minutes, checking carefully. You want it to be golden brown on the outside to ensure dough i cooked on the inside.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so. Slice into 1 inch pieces. Serve immediately. Any leftovers can be reheated in the oven later.