Growing up, Little Jenn had no idea what curry was. I didn’t know its origin or that it was delicious in both sight, taste and smell. I did not know it would become one of my favorite dishes to both make and eat. But here I am, Adult Jenn, eating curry like it’s my damn job. Some job that would be too, eh?
Well, we had some friends come into town recently for a long weekend. Naturally, I took them to our amazing Indian Buffet, Sitar, during their stay. Per usual, I stuffed myself uncomfortably full with freshly baked Naan and foods spiced ever so perfectly to then waddle all over town trying to figure out why I do this to myself every time. Now, it is several days later and I have the hankering (once again) for a nice curried _______(insert edible vegan noun here). So, what will it be? ***digs through pantry, find chickpeas**** Curried Chickpea Salad! ***finds peanuts***With Peanuts!!
My BFFL (pronounced “biffle”) is currently in Spain, as I have mentioned here and there. She told me to put peanut butter in my curry next time I made it. Being the ever loyal and trusting friend, I decided to take her advice and give it a shot. Oh buddy, was that a good idea! It gave this wrap a whole different level of flavor. It still has the sweet and spicy curried deliciousness I know and love, but added another element that I also adore. The end result is a protein packed wrap of goodness and wonder. This sucker will stick to your bones. It is sweet, spicy, savory, chewy, and crunchy. The peanuts give it a nice crunch while the curry sauce coats the chickpeas for loads of flavor in each bite. It will leave your mouth thankful and your tummy content.
We will be eating these beauties for lunch the rest of this week! HOLLLAAAAA! Anyways-share your pics of you make a couple of them! Tag me @peppers_peaches and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches 🙂
- 5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 large wraps, any kind
- 1 loose cup spinach or lettuce
- ¾ cup salted/roasted peanuts
- Curry Sauce:
- ½ cup vegan mayo of choice
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs milk (vegan, duh)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- dash red pepper
- dash dried ginger
- Combine sauce ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pulse peanuts a few times in food processor (or coarsely chop). Add peanuts to sauce mixture. Combine and set bowl aside.
- In several batches, add chickpeas to food processor and pulse a few times. You want most of the chickpeas broken up but a few still left whole. This works better in batches then all the chickpeas pulsed at once.
- Combine chickpeas with sauce in the large bowl. Stir and fold until chickpeas are fully Incorporated.
- Lay out your wraps. Split the spinach or lettuce up equally on each wrap. Place a generous amount of your chickpea mixture on the spinach on the wrap. Roll up however you choose. done! You will have leftover chickpea mixture for wraps for later too!