Mornings are my favorite time of the day. Most days I love waking up, pouring a steaming hot cup of coffee and snuggling on the couch with a blanket. Then I just like to sit there and let my body naturally wake up, almost a state of mediation. When I’m making the coffee I am basically in zombie mode, same for when I plop down on the couch. It is the next step where the magic happens. As I sip on that hot mug of joe, my body slowly comes to life. As the wheels in my head start turning I think about my day and what it will entail. The first thing I decide, though, is what to eat for breakfast. That’s where today’s recipe really helps Zombie Jenn out. When I have a batch of these waiting for me, there is no thinking about breakfast. I just drop a couple of these on a plate, and mosey my way over to the couch to sip my coffee and eat my breakfast. That is the perfect morning.
So what is my perfect morning breakfast pairing? Doughnuts. What type of doughnuts? In this case, Holiday Spiced Doughnuts with a Cinnamon Chocolate Glaze. Oh yeahhhh. Cakey doughnut filled with holiday spices of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Topped with a sweet chocolate glaze with a few spices of its own. These doughnuts were made to eat with a large cup of black coffee. I love my coffee black, like my soul….(kidding…). No-but black coffee is where it is at, especially with some fair trade, specialty coffee beans freshly ground….mhmmm. Add some holiday spiced doughnuts to the mix and you get one happy Jenn!
Want to try my morning ritual? Please do! On mornings I have more time I also like to do a little yoga, just a few sun salutations to greet the day and thank my body for working so hard for me all the time. Do you have a favorite morning ritual? Tell me about it in the comments below, I am always looking for new ways to start the day!
If you make these glistening, gooey, chewy, and down right tasty doughnuts take a picture! Tag me @peppers_peaches or use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches on instagram or twitter.
Also, can we please look at my assistant? He was very keen on helping me with this photo shoot, as you can see in the above two pictures….LOL
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup chickpea brine, or brine from one can of chickpeas (canninelli brine works too)
- ¼ cup pureed pumpkin
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch allspice
- ¼ cup dairy free milk
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs coco powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dry doughnut ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to make sure fully incorporated.
- Combine wet doughnut ingredients in a separate bowl, stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir to combine.
- Pour into greased doughnut pan. Mine only makes 6 at a time, this recipe makes 12. If you are like me, then you make 2 batches.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes and doughnuts have risen.
- While doughnuts are baking, place a small sauce pan on stove on medium heat.
- Add the glaze ingredients, stirring well. bring to a low simmer. Continue stirring for about 7 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. Once glaze has thickened, remove from heat.
- Once doughnuts are cool enough to handle, dip tops into the glaze. Place on cooling rack for glaze to set.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week.