My mind is a whirlwind right now. Scandal (Olivia Pop is a boss), New York tomorrow (trying to eat my body weight in food while I’m there), and my dog is crazy. Let me start by elaborating on my dog. Zeus has this issue…well, actually he has many issues, but his latest one is he whines at his food bowl instead of eating it. He wants to eat, but there is something that concerns him that keeps him from noshing on his dinner or breakfast until he whines at it for a good 10 minutes. If I hold the bowl he goes for it….if a few kibbles fall on the ground he will eat those….but to just dive into the bowl…not this week. I will add it to his bucket list of weird ass dog phobias which include not walking on any slick surface. Seriously, you should see how many rugs I have on my laminate floors.
Next up, Scandal. Shit is goooood. I was slow to jump on the bandwagon, per usual, but…whatever.
Last but not least, NEW YORKKKKKK (sung in my best Alicia Keys voice)! I am so pumped to check out that citayyyy! How have I never been? I’m going in 1 day and it can’t get here fast enough. Which brings me to today’s recipe. Granola Bars!! I am trying to hit the ground running on my quick trip and I need to make sure I have the energy to do so. I whipped up these bars in about 10 minutes and they are loaded with protein and fiber. One bite and I was hooked. It was one of those photo shoots where I keep eating them in between shots. I’m bringing them with me on my travels to stay energized and full. Airport food is too expensive anyways.
These bars are naturally sweetened with dates, brown rice syrup, and almond butter. They are loaded with peanuts, hemp hearts and chia seeds for a nutritional boost in every bite! Make a batch….and then make a double batch because they go FAST. Let me know when you whip these bad boys up! Tag me on instagram or twitter @peppers_peaches and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches
- 1½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup tightly packed medjool dates
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ½ cup dry roasted, no salt added peanuts
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs hemp hearts
- Add rolled oats in food processor. Pulse until oats are chunky, but not until they have become flour. Pour in mixing bowl and set aside. <--You don't have to do this step, but I prefer the texture.
- Add dates to the food processor, pulse until they become a thick paste. Do not over process or it will become date caramel. Add to mixing bowl with oats.
- Warm brown rice syrup (I used microwave). Add syrup along with the rest of the ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Mix well until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Place parchment paper in 8 x 8 glass pan. Pour mixture, which should be chunky, into pan. Press firmly to flatten,
- Place in fridge for at least 2 hours, to become firm.
- Carefully pull out by parchment paper and then cut into rectangles. Keep in airtight container in fridge for up to a week (maybe longer, haven't tried)
- **You can sub in any nuts you would like. You could also exchange or add flax seeds into the mixture too. cinnamon or cocoa might be nice additions for new flavors as well. Versatile, as always 🙂