Sometimes the best recipes come to you in dire situations. Ok, “dire” may be slightly dramatic but at the time my stomach was telling me to feed it or it was going to eat itself. <—not sure if that is an actual thing, my stomach is probably a big fat liar. Anyways, I was nervous my stomach was going to have itself for lunch so I implemented a time crunched plan to whip this wrap into shape. I pulled into my parking space and ran up the stairs, burst into the house and grabbed my head of cauliflower. I should mention that my husband didn’t even bother looking up from his video game during this occurrence as apparently I have moments like these quite often….a girl’s gotta eat though, right?
Also, I washed my hands before starting…for the record.
The finished product was better than I has even imagined, which is always nice. It was so good, in fact, that I snapped a few photos to share with you. I always feel so accomplished when I create a share worthy recipe on the first go around! *fist pumps*.
So what exactly did I make? I started with roasted cauliflower tossed in an orange glaze, then added some sauteed soy bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts. Then I wrapped all of this up with some vegan mayonnaise and fresh baby spinach to even out all of the flavor profiles. Luckily, the recipe makes enough cauliflower for 4 wraps, so while the below recipe is for 2, you will have leftovers to make another couple later….because you will crave another one…promise.
Another note is that bamboo shoots sound like some crazy exotic food, but they are really mild with a wonderful texture. You can find them in an Asian market or possibly in the Asian isle in your standard grocery store. I prefer the ones in water, as always, opposed to a syrup. You could substitute them out with carrots if youd like, but I don’t think it would be as good!
Let me see your pictures of this one! Tag me @ peppers_peaches on instagram and/or twitter, use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches!
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ cup water chestnuts
- ½ cup canned bamboo shoots, draine
- ½ cup bean sprouts (in jar), drained
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 tbs vegan mayonnaise
- 2 large wraps of choice
- Orange Sauce:
- ½ cup orange juice (fresh is best)
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground fresh ginger
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized chunks. Lay evenly on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place in hot oven for 25-30 minutes to roast.
- While cauliflower is roasting, combine all orange sauce ingredients on medium heat in a small sauce pan. Stir until warmed and all ingredients are combined and smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Add coconut oil to a medium sized skillet on medium heat. Once oil is melted add 2 tbs soy sauce, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts.
- Allow to saute until ingredients are piping hot and they have absorbed the soy sauce. Remove from heat.
- Once cauliflower is done, remove from oven. Toss the orange sauce and cauliflower in a large mixing bowl until all pieces are coated.
- Wrap assembly time. Spread 1 tbs of mayo on each tortilla, then add ½ cup spinach to each. Next, add ½ of your bamboo shoot mixture and and about ¼ of your cauliflower to each tortilla Roll up into a wrap, slice in half. Enjoy! You will have enough cauliflower to make about 2 more wraps later too!