I will take a hot, saucy sandwich in the morning over a pastry or muffin any day! Spread the word far and wide that we need more veggie breakfast sandwich options in this world! While we wait for that message to get out, I whipped up a tasty version that you can make in your own kitchen. Not as quick as pulling through a drive through on your morning commute, but the extra love that you put into this sandwich? Well, I am convinced you can taste it.
Salty, sweet, saucy, crunchy, hot, chewy-that is what this sandwich has to offer. I even took a shot at making my own English Muffins. Round one was sub par, I admit, hopefully round two yields the nooks and crannies I crave in a good English Muffin. The rest of the sandwich was spot on though! The sriracha maple aioli renders this breakfast a spiciness not generally found in the morning but the maple pulls it in enough to give it a classic feel. The breakfast sausage gives that cravable saltiness and the sweet potato coins add texture that all pairs with the aioli to make one amazing first meal of the day!
Let me know if you give it a shot in the comments below. Also, use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches and tag me @peppers_peaches on instagram or twiiter!
- 2 veggie patties (I used Gardein breakfast sausage patties)
- 2 English muffins
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- For Aioli:
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbs sriracha
- 2 tbs grade B maple syrup (grade A is probably fine as well)
- Place a medium-large skillet on the stove on medium heat. Warm coconut oil.
- Slice sweet potato into coins. Add to skillet. Cook for a about 8 minutes on each side until they are softened and cooked through. Be careful not to blacken them. Remove from skillet, place on a plate, set aside.
- Add sausage patties to the same skillet. Heat according to package directions. Mine took around 6-8 minutes to heat through.
- While patties are cooking, combine aioli ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Toast English Muffin.
- Assemble sandwich. Add aioli to both sides of English muffin, add sausage and about 3 sweet potato coins.
- Dig in!