Hot and flaky, buttery and salty with a hint of sweet–that is what these crescent rolls are all about. I constantly see crescent roll recipes on Pinterest, but they are usually loaded with cream cheese or hot dogs. Neither of those things are in my food pyramid. As usual, I decided to create my own version. The result is a delectable puffed dough that encompasses a sweet potato mash and caramelized mushrooms and onions. I originally planned on drizzling some sort of sauce on top of the them once they were cooked. One bite though, and I knew they were perfect just the way they were.
There is something to be said about freshly baked pastry dough with its melt-in-your-mouth crust. Top that with a sweet potato filling and it creates the perfect creaminess while the mushrooms and onions bring all the flavors together. Pair them with a bowl of split pea soup and you have yourself a cozy fall meal. Another bonus of these is that they are extremely quick to make, depending on how long it takes you to cook your sweet potato. Even that though, takes minimal effort. You just make some sweet potato mash, saute some mushrooms and onions, and roll them all up in some dough (that you bought pre-made at the store). Impress guests with this seemingly gourmet delicacy. You can probably make a fancier name for them too and really knock their socks off. I tend to stick with the bare basic names.
Can you think of a fancier name for these crescent roll ups? Let me know in the comments below! Tag me on instgram or twitter too (@peppers_peaches) and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches so I can see you get fancy!
- 1 package refrigerated vegan pastry dough (makes 8 pastries)
- 4 oz finely chopped mushrooms
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbs butter, melted
- Sweet Potato Mixture:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs soy milk, unsweetened, unflavored
- ½ tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add mushrooms and onions to a large skillet on medium heat. Allow to cook for about 6-8 minutes, or until onions and mushrooms are cooked down and softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine sweet potato mixture in small bowl, mash and stir with fork until combined and creamy.
- Roll our pastry dough. Separate the dough into the 8 pre-cut pieces.
- Spoon 2 tbs sweet potato mixture onto the large end of the pastry dough (it is in a triangle, so the fat end of the triangle). Add 1 tbs minced and cooked mushroom/onion mixture to the top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Now, roll pastry dough up, starting at the large end and place on greased cookie sheet. Brush the melted butter on top of each rolled pastry.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until browning slightly on top. Serve immediately.