Yesterday I left my glasses at home. Classic Monday move. By the end of the day I had a raging headache and the only thing I could think of was crawling into bed. After various self appointed chores I did just that….and all was well. One of those self appointed “chores” was roasting some of these spiced cashews to share with you all. I always have cashews on hand but sometimes I want them to have rich and bold flavors. I love the different types you can buy at Trader Joe’s. Chili and lime anyone? YUM!
My own personal creation combo is that of turmeric, red pepper, paprika, and chili powder, along with classic salt and pepper. These spices combined with a buttery roasted cashew…..you guessed it, creates a tasty snack that actually sticks with you for sustainable energy. I always save my cashew snack until the afternoon. It gets me through the rush hour traffic-filled ride home. For this, I thank you cashews.
You could use any number of flavor combos; I think a sweet and salty one would be good. I’ll probably experiment with that one in the upcoming weeks. Do you have any tasty spice ideas? Let me know in the comments below! Also, tag me @peppers_peaches and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches on instagram and/or twitter if you make these! I love seeing your versions 🙂
- 2 cups plain cashews
- 1 tbs vegan butter, melted
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread cashews evenly on a cookie sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, carefully pour into a mixing bowl. **Pro tip: line cookie sheet with tin foil at the beginning, so you can just lift and fold foil to help pour hot cashews into bowl.
- Pour butter on cashews. Then add spices.
- Stir well and CAREFULLY taste a cashew. Adjust spices as needed.
- Pour cashews back on cookie sheet. Place in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in airtight container