So last post I told you all about how good cashew cream is. That it is one of my favorite things in life, right? Well today I am going to show you one of my new favorite things to dunk it in! If you have ventured onto Pinterest than you have likely already seen other versions of what I am about to unfold. In walks….BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER! The crowd goes wild!!!! WOOOOOO!
Ok, I am embarrassing myself now….
Ahem. Anyways, this buffalo cauliflower is pretty damn spicy but also has a nice sweetness to cut in. We can’t have the heat stealing all the show, now can we? (No). In this version, I coat the cauliflower chunks in aquafaba (chickpea brine) and whole wheat flour so the sauce can really stick to the cauliflower. The result is a very powerful vegan version of wings. Or healthy version…call it what you will, this stuff is like crack. The first time I made it; I was alone and ate the entire thing off of the cookie sheet. I also got sauce all over my shirt and didn’t use a fork. Sometimes you have to let your animal instincts take over, that was one of mine. It was epic.
This recipe would be perfect for an appetizer before a barbecue or any type of get together. It is best served right out of the oven but reheats pretty well too. It also tastes great hot, but still “wows” once it has cooled off to room temperature as well. Basically, make this one for your friends. They’ll think you are a kitchen connoisseur. I don’t recommend telling them any different, either. Just shrug and grin; and then gobble down some more cauliflower.
- 1 head cauliflower
- Aquafaba from 1 can of chickpeas (the juice in the can)
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup hot sauce (like Frank's)
- ¼ cup sriracha
- ⅓ cup agave
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight if not using highpower blender like Vitamix)
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Juice 1 lemon
- ranch seasonings (I have a blend but you can use parsely flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, and or thyme)
- ½ cup + 1 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Cut your head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces, making sure to discard the leafy green parts.
- Make a mini station with one bowl of the aquafaba, then next to it a bowl of the whole wheat flour. Start with 1 cup whole wheat flour and only add more if you end up needing it. Place a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper next to the 2 bowls.
- Place a few pieces of cauliflower in the aquafaba, then move to the whole wheat flour bowl and coat the cauliflower pieces. Then move them onto the cookie sheet. Continue this process until all the pieces are coated with the aquafaba and whole wheat flour mixture.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes, flipping cauliflower over half way through.
- While cauliflower is cooking, mix hot sauce, sriracha, and agave in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Next, mix all "ranch" ingredients except the seasonings in a high powered blender until smooth. then add ranch seasonings and stir. Set in fridge until buffalo cauliflower is ready.
- Once cauliflower has roasted 20 minutes, pull out of oven. Carefully place cauliflower pieces in the bowl of hot sauce mixture you just prepared. Toss until all pieces are completely coated.
- Places saucy cauliflower back on parchment covered cookie sheet. Put back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn to broil and cook for about 1 minute, until the pieces start to turn a little crispy on the very top. It is important to watch the cauliflower while under broiler, as it will turn very quickly.