I have been insanely busy of late. I know what you are thinking (because I’m psychic), “everyone is busy lately”. Well, OK. So how do you handle it?
I don’t usually mind being crazy busy as long as my time spent is not wasted. This too has happened recently, but I am lifting up and moving forward; but it does happen to be why I did not have my usual Monday morning post. Have you noticed I am a Monday morning post-er? I really like starting my week off with a fresh new recipe! I like it for many reasons, a few of which I will tell you. 1) I love giving something back to my readers on the first day of the week. Mondays can suck sometimes, so a post from a blog you check regularly is a little glimmer in a sometimes rough day. 2) It helps set my schedule in the right direction for the rest of the week. Start the first day off organized, and the rest of the week falls into place much easier. 3) When I post on Monday it usually means I relaxed on Saturday or Sunday at some point, as that is when I edit photos and write, etc.
So today’s post was not put together with a great deal of planning. BUT-and this is an important “but”, this recipe is blog approved or I would not have posted it. I was driving home from work yesterday thinking how bummed I was that I did not have any posts for this week. Hunger struck, and by the time I made it to my house I had an amazing taco recipe in my head. I made it, took photos, and then ate it….and then went back for seconds, all in under 45 minutes My husband was amazed with the flavors too and we decided we need to make this again next week. I usually test out recipes a few times before sharing them with everyone, but this one was a hit on the first go round!
Tacos are nothing new in my family, but tempeh, kale, and miso tacos are certainly a twist on the way we usually do things. The tangy Asian inspired marinade made with garlic, ginger, miso, and soy, along with fresh veggies combined with crumbled tempeh created a healthy masterpiece that both your taste buds and gut are thankful you ate! If my hasty description is not enough for you check out these photos, the tacos are colorful, crunchy, chewy, salty and mouthwatering….what is not to love??
Let me know if you try these bad boys out! Take a photo and use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches on instagram or twitter. Or just comment below! I’d love to hear any variations you try out too!
- 1 package 8 oz. tempeh
- 1½ cups finely ripped or shredded kale, stems removed
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 stalk green onion, finely sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs white miso paste
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- ¼ tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 large minced garlic clove
- ⅓ cup water
- Place large skillet on the stove on medium heat.
- Combine marinade ingredients in the skillet and stir until warm and combined.
- Crumble the tempeh into small pieces into the warmed marinade in the skillet. Stir to coat tempeh crumbles. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- While tempeh is cooking, you can slice your kale, red pepper, and green onion if you have not already.
- Once tempeh has cooked for 5 minutes, add red pepper, kale, and ½ of the sliced green onion. Stir to combine and allow to cook until kale it wilted and red pepper just starts to soften.
- Warm corn tortillas on a small skillet until lightly browned.
- Add tempeh mixtute to toasted tortillas, top with more green onion and a lemon squeeze. Enjoy!