So let me start this post off by saying….”famous” in the title is more of a dream than an actual fact…. I would like this recipe to tour the world and bring ecstasy to taste-buds all over our green earth. Is that going to happen? I do not know….I think the first step would be to let the world actually know about the recipe though. So lucky you, you are here for step 1.
My mom used to make fruit pizza for me every year on my birthday instead of the traditional cake. I was obsessed with it! Not surprisingly, everyone who had it loved it. In fact, I don’t recall anyone ever disliking it….which is pretty impressive coming from a bunch of crazy haired, scrape kneed, boisterous little rug rats <– my friends….not me…obviously.
So one day I was really craving this pizza and realized I had to veganize this bad boy. That meant my adapted recipe had to be a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best thing I’ve ever tasted and 0 being scorched beans (ever had them? Disgusting, and smell up your whole house and everything in it). The pressure was on! Naturally, I employed my mother in the baking of the pizza “dough”….who better to have there during this high tensity cooking spree than the one who knows the original recipe best? The end result was pretty awesome. In fact, I couldn’t tell a difference. That really says something as I am positive I have eaten more fruit pizza than anyone. Ever. On this planet. Ever.
This pizza starts with a rich “buttery” sugar cookie crust, smothered with a sweet cream “cheese” sauce, layered with your favorite fruits, and then drizzled with a citrus glaze that both locks in fruit freshness and pulls the whole pizza together. The end product is a delectable dessert that not only looks stunning but you don’t have to feel too guilty about eating it!
- For sugar cookie pizza crust:
- 5 C White Wheat Flour (other vegan fours work as well)
- 2 C sugar (coconut sugar would be really good too)
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ C dairy free milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 13 oz. container of Earth Balance butter spread-whipped
- **Disclaimer-this cookie recipe was adapted from www.chezbetty.com. I used it thinking I would alter it and make it my own, but her recipe is so good I quickly changed my mind. Thanks Chez Betty!**
- For sweet cream cheese sauce:
- ¾ block silken tofu or 8 oz package of vegan cream cheese
- ½ C sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- For Citrus Glaze:
- ¼ C lemon juice
- ¾ C orange juice
- ¾ C water
- ½ C sugar
- 2 tbs corn starch
- Using a hand mixer, combine the Earth Balance and sugar together until it is light and creamy.
- Now, add the baking powder and use the hand mixer to evenly combine throughout.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Use hand mixer to combine until smooth.
- Slowly start adding the flour while using hand mixer. I used ½ C increments and it worked out lovely. As soon as flour is mixed into batter stop mixing, you do not want to over process.
- Refrigerate your dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round pizza pan. Roll out dough onto pizza pan until it covers most of it. Bake for about 17 minutes or until edges just start to brown and middle isn't completely dough like.
- Pull out of oven and let cool. Cookie will continue to cook while cooling.
- While cookie is cooling, take out another mixing bowl and combine tofu or cream cheese along with sugar and vanilla. You can either mix using the hand mixer or good old elbow grease. Just need the ingredients to be nice and smooth. Set aside.
- Slice your fruits up into small pieces. I cut my strawberries into halves, left the blueberries alone, and sliced my banana into chips. There is no right or wrong way. Set aside when done.
- Now, time for the glaze. Take a medium sauce pan and place on stove top. Add lemon juice, orange juice, water, ½ C sugar, and cornstarch and stir. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Will make way more glaze than you need. Use it to dip fruit or throw in a smoothie for later. Waste not!
- Time to assemble your pizza! Once cookie is fully cooled, slather on cream cheese/tofu pizza “sauce”.
- Arrange fruit onto pizza. I prefer lots of fruit so every piece is touching. I start in the middle and keep adding until it reaches the outer edges of the crust.
- Once sauce and fruit is assembled, take a basting brush and brush the citrus glaze onto every inch of the pizza. I am pretty generous with the glaze as I find its flavor addicting. If you use bananas, it is especially vital to them as it keeps them from turning brown.
- Refrigerate completed pizza until chilled. Enjoy!