Having a good tofu scramble recipe in your back pocket is key to easy vegan breakfasts that feed a good few people in a short amount of time. They are also great ways to use up the random leftover veggies you have in your pantry or fridge. I have been messing with different ways to make tofu scrambles as I really wanted a recipe that loaded with flavor but also had the right textures. I prefer my scramble to be a little creamy (think like melty cheese creamy) but also a little bit crunchy from fresh veggies. I wanted it to be loaded with vitamins, protein, and fiber so I could make it on weekend mornings and remain full until lunch.
Today’s recipe is everything the above requested but a little bit more. I am giving you exactly what I put into my tofu scramble, which, in my opinion, is delicious. However, most of the ingredients can be substituted out for veggies and beans that you have on hand at home. My Ultimate Tofu Scramble is loaded with crunchy bell peppers and onions, black eyed peas, tomato, and creamy avocado to be combined perfectly with sauteed tofu. The milk sauce that is poured over the top of it all seasons the ingredients and creates the perfect tofu scramble texture. I adapted that process from Namely Marley’s Tofu Scramble. I have tried tofu scrambles a lot of different ways now, and this is by far the tastiest version of them all.
Give this recipe a shot yourself, or let me know what ways you mixed it up to create your own version! I’d love to hear of any different spices you add too! Let me know in the comments below or use my hashtag #peppersandpeaches on instagram or twitter. Or better yet, just tag me in it @peppers_peaches <–oh yeahhh!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 12 oz. block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper , diced (I used yellow)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup cooked black eyed peas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)**
- Place large skillet on stove on medium heat. Add olive oil and let warm up.
- Add onions and bell peppers. Saute for 5-7 minutes until completely softened.
- Crumble tofu with your hands and add to skillet. Add black eyed peas to skillet too. Stir to combine. Allow to cook and get hot in the skillet.
- While tofu mixture is cooking, combing spices, milk, and corn starch in a separate small bowl. Mix until no clumps are left from corn starch.
- Pour corn starch mixture into skillet with tofu mixture. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes or until the scramble has thickened up significantly.
- Slice avocado and serve on the side. I also recommend drizzling a little sriracha on top for some added heat.